"THE CALIBER OF TEACHING USUALLY ONLY FOUND IN BIG CITIES."
- Dance Teacher Magazine
OUR EDUCATIONAL PHILOSOPHY
Lake Tahoe Dance Collective believes that all disciplines of movement should be shared and enjoyed by all - whether you’ve never taken a class before, or you are considering a career as a professional, we offer a pleasant and civilized place in which to work and to learn. The atmosphere that is created is based on mutual trust and respect, and anyone who wishes to explore their artistry and creativity while challenging ones self is welcome.
In a caring environment, we provide artistic training of the highest possible caliber, offering all students a positive learning experience that is constantly monitored for potential improvement.
Lake Tahoe Dance Collective is proud to include the AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE® National Training Curriculum, a breakthrough 8 level program that combines high quality artistic training with the basics of dancer health and child development. The ABT® National Training Curriculum consists of a comprehensive set of age-appropriate, outcome-based guidelines to provide the highest quality ballet training to dance students of all ages and skill levels. Primary through Level 3 will be taught by ABT® Certified Teacher, Christin Hanna, who has successfully completed the ABT® Teacher Training Intensive in Primary through Level 3 of the ABT® National Training Curriculum.
OUR POLICIES FOR A SAFE AND SUPPORTED EXPERIENCE AT LAKE TAHOE DANCE COLLECTIVE CLASSES
All participants in LTDC Classes must have a planning conference with Director Christin Hanna, register and sign the liability policy, and agree to the school policies outlined.
COVID-19 Procedures (Updated August 2022):
• the LTDC Studio will run a commercial grade air filter at all times, while using ventilation procedures in accordance with CDC Guidelines.
• If you have been exposed to someone with COVID-19 within the last five days, please wear a mask until you have had five days of negative tests after exposure.
• All classes must be paid in advance. Additional tuition policies listed in the student portal section.
• Please arrive with enough time to prepare and start class on time. A dancer who is more than ten minutes late to class may observe but will not be permitted to join the class already in session. Class is designed to warm up the body to prevent injury.
• Respect the teacher and one another. There is absolutely no talking during ballet class. While dialogue between the teacher and students will regularly occur as part of the class environment, dancers must refrain from unnecessary chatter.
• LTDC follows TTUSD procedures and will be closed on Snow Days. For information, click HERE.
• We are living in a time of extreme weather changes, including wildfires. Although both the Tahoe City and Incline Village studio locations have ample air filtration, we will not hold class should the Air Quality Index exceed 150, which is regarded as unhealthy for exercise. Should class be cancelled, you will be informed by 12 noon the day of class, so as to have enough time to plan accordingly.
• Class placement is subject to the discretion of the teacher.
• Please pull hair back neatly in a bun (or ponytail for shorter hair) and remove all jewelry.
• Leotards and tights are acceptable to wear in class.
• Warmups are permitted early in class but should be removed as soon as possible as this prevents the teacher from assessing you properly in class.
• Dancers are expected to maintain a healthy level of nutrition. Responsible eating habits will prepare you for a long day of classes during which you can perform at your best.
• Hydrate! Water bottles are welcome in the studio.
• All injuries must be reported as soon as possible
• Students who are injured should still attend class or rehearsal as an observer.
• LTDC can recommend local physicians based on a dancer’s needs - orthopedic, chiropractic, podiatric, etc. and is happy to do so.
• The taking of videos and photographs is not allowed by students or visitors to classes.
• Occasionally requests are made for students to be photographed, interviewed or videoed by outside organizations such as television companies, newspapers or magazines. This will only take place should parents have signed the appropriate media consent form.
• All dancers, whether in class or rehearsal, are expected to maintain the highest standards of behavior. LTDC adopts the following “Anti-Bullying” Policy, borrowed from the Royal Ballet School.
Bullying involves a deliberate and hurtful act of intimidation, humiliation or malice carried out by a person or group in a strong position against a person or group in a weaker position. It usually, but not always, involves repetition rather than a single isolated incident. It can be overt (e.g. name calling) or covert (e.g. ignoring somebody). The three main types of bullying are:
• Physical - hitting, kicking, biting, pinching, taking or hiding property
• Verbal – name calling, teasing, insulting, writing nasty notes or emails
• Emotional – excluding, isolating, tormenting, spreading rumors
Any behavior which makes you feel insulted, intimidated or hurt or which is intended to do these things, is bullying. It can include the following:
• The abuse of power by those in authority
• Deliberately ignoring somebody and encouraging others to do the same
• Any form of violence e.g. hitting, kicking, pushing, spitting, pinching etc.
• Sending nasty messages in order to upset somebody e.g. by phone, note or e- mail
• Saying nasty things which are to do with race, color, religion, appearance or sexual preference
• Threatening violence or unkindness to somebody
• Spreading nasty rumors or circulating sensitive information.
• Damaging somebody’s property
• Taking or ‘borrowing’ somebody’s property or food by extortion or otherwise.
LTDC has a zero-tolerance policy on bullying. Upon the first incident, the student will be put on warning and make an apology to the bullied party. Should a second incident occur, the student will no longer be welcome to attend classes at Lake Tahoe Dance Collective and tuition will not be refunded.